View Single Post
Old 10-09-2016, 09:19 PM   #110
VOLKSWAGNUT

Re: 1966-81 Chevy H/J Series

Yes sir.. I would passed on a Cat too..
I was weaned on an 8V71's air box drains. Hahhaha.. taste like oily chicken..

Air Brakes ...yep front and rear.
GVWR 32700 lbs.. (grunt)
Double Frame.. from the cab rearward. Or what I would assume double??
It's basically an overlap L frame over the upper C all the way to the bottom.
It's certainly a Heavy Chevy.
It will have cab marker lights eventually... rather have the torpedos,.. yankee 77 style are in the mix.. but I really dont want the plastic repop wannbes... ...

And to correct my prior... ..the NL RPM limit is 2925...hhahha.. like those 50 less are gonna help my hearing...or make the neighbors any more thrilled.

Im looking at a flat dump bed at a local pull yard.. Maybe a swap..
Pending some measuring... and cost..
Initial intentions were to build a BIG dually dumper.. .. Shorten the wheel base and lop off the rear.. drive it just because.....
Not sure yet..
Im just working on it as I go.. doing what feels right to me.

Worked on the Eaton two speed axle today... yet to find an axle tag.. ??? Id like to know the high ratio so I know what to shoot for as to finding a more RPM speed freindly ratio.
Trans is Spicer 5252A.. close 4/5 .... and it needs an Aux, OD or higher axle..
First things first....
The original axle harness looked like it had been seriously overloaded.. hell ok.. it was barbequed.
Somewhere along the years it had an orange exstension cord as a doner splice.
I pulled the unit last week, cleaned it up, put in a new limit switch to get it working today... easy fix.. and I will restring the harness to a little something heavier to minimize any voltage drops.

Nice part about the butterfly hood, fenders.... and grille shell ... it all can be removed in about 45 minutes.
Ill be doing just that soon for the 'big clean" and engine Alpine Green recoat.. .. I mean... Its gotta be Detroit Green...

And... I already stabbed myself just below the eye jumping up from the bumper foot slot..
Freakin' hood corners are sharper than they look....arrrrrrggghh..ouch.
Live and learn.....and now.. look..
I plan to make a strap to hold the hoods together dead center.... if they fall and kill me.. it was simply meant to be.....

I've alaways like the H/J cabs.. casue back in the 70's and 80's 99% of the time... if you swa one...it had a 2 stroke Jimmy in it...

Funny story.... when I was younger.. always riding along with my Pop in either one of his White Freightliners (66 and 71)... both "318" (8V71) powered.. well the 71 was pumped a lil'.. I just thought all trucks were supposed to sound that way... all the rest were broken.. or had the wrong driver..
and... as I got older... ..enjoyed driving and wrenching on those two Jimmy's with him..
He was following me the day I picked this up.. I could see hois smile in the mirrors as I hit the governer limit..got the thumbs up..

Two Stroke Detroits... are gifts to us from the noise gods...

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT; 10-09-2016 at 09:49 PM.
VOLKSWAGNUT is offline   Reply With Quote