View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 12:14 PM   #2309
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Just headed out to fill Challenger then off to Searcy to Ta2Don.

HEADED INTO THE SUNRISE..........

HEADED TO THE CENTRE OF THE UNIVERSE.

CLICKY LINKY:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=51567

We head out onto the motorway with Dennis pointing the Challengers eager nose at the sunrise, soon we are over the Mississippi River and onward.

The roads become monotonous but we are talking cars, women and the way the world has been for us.

This is a great trip.

Every now and then Dennis gives in to the urge and tickles the Hemi and it is only too pleased to respond with a kickdown when we overtake slower traffic.
This is an incredibly civilised car.

A rest stop or two later we get to Pocahontas and pull in for an amazing breakfast and service with a smile.

Fortunately the facilities also cater for those of a more blessed nature who find the cold touch of porcelain unnerving. Not seen one of these oldskool urinals in years.

Breakfast was just spectacular. It seems to be the norm.

Then back on the road.
Dennis did warn me it may be a bit boring but I loved it and along with stories of him raising hell all his life, the trip went by fast and pleasantly.

When we got to Philo we sneaked onto the property and parked up out back at the big workshop and walked down to the 1930's shop at which point Thomas and Chris discovered us "Trespassing" so he went to get changed from his work clothes and the tour and visit strated.

First stop was this Hudsom Terraplane that Thomas still has the title to.
So technicaly it can be legally returned to the road. Future project?

You need to read the thread linked above now.

I cannot say more than Dennis and I had an amazing day.

I got to raise the working and restored by Thomas, single post 1928 car lift and dennis lowered it after we had touched, smelled and investigated it.
It is the oldest one of its type known to exist.

The 1930's shop has been sympathetically restored and modernised for Thomas and Chris to prep their classics and drag cars.
Everywhere there are bits of its origens.

I loved these lights.

One of the two cars that they run regularly.

Corvette Heaven.

Thomas offered to drop the roof on this 1966 for me to go for a drive. I was desperate to go drive it around the Illinois fields and suspect Dennis would have enjoyed it too, but I decided the time we had together was more precious than a blast in a classic.

The generosity and trust of these people does not surprise me anymore. BUT I CONTINUE TO BE HUMBLED BY IT.

I have to get out to breakfast and then over to Searcy to see Ta2Don and then up into the mountains to Fayetteville to Clems place.

I will finish this days update later when I get time and WiFi access.

Later dudes.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote