View Single Post
Old 10-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #1
fang508

Is my gas tank vent sufficient?

So I am dropping a new engine and a new undercab mounted gas tank in my 86 gmc sierra and I want to be absolutely sure I have all of this right. My original gas tank sender only had an inlet and return line without a vent (2 nipples). My old tank also has the filler neck tube and what looks like a filler vent tube that connects to the tank and filler tube and that is now swapped to my new tank. While my new gas tank is OE, the sender I bought is the same style except it has a vent, inlet, and return on it (3 nipples). My mech fuel pump only has 2 nipples one from the tank and one going to the carb. I have broken in the engine and everything seems fine. I use a mech fuel pump that has a max pressure around 6.5 lbs which according to every forum I look at is the max safe running pressure for my edelbrock 1405 carb. On the gas tank sender I took 6" of fuel line and looped the return nipple to the vent nipple since I don't have a fuel pump return, an originally vented tank, or a charcoal canister system. I believe I have a vented gas cap but I am going to replace it to be sure. Aside from potential fuel odor are there any bad consequences doing this? I will be running open long tube headers for awhile and I want to eliminate the potential for any gas fume explosions..

Last edited by fang508; 10-12-2016 at 08:42 PM.
fang508 is offline   Reply With Quote