View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #2412
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Along the motorway I did see a sign..........

After Donnie Wilson giving me that Case knife this was just perfect.

One of my favourite photos of the whole trip.

It brought together various facets of the USA for me.

So of course I went in.........

MY MIND WAS BLOWN !!!

I have always loved pen or pocket knives ever since I was a kid.
In fact, my mum even bought me a twin blade for my 21st birthday. Which I promptly went and lost two days later through a hole in my trouser pocket on my way to work. 32 years later I still have not forgotten or forgiven myself.

I have a small collection of random knives all with stories or emotions attached and still love them.

The knife Donnie gave me lies next to my bed and I look at it, tpich it and use it regularly.

Back to the Case Knife shop.

All types, all prices, all sizes.

I looked and drooled in that shop for an hour, wanted to buy Donnie a knife to replace the one he gave me but in the end realised that Ihad no idea just what was in his collection.

So I formulated "Plan B" and bought Miss Katy a pinkn(coz she loves pink) Buck knife for her handbag. Yes..........??? So what? She is a nurse matron and often uses a knife.

She loved it.

Back to "Plan B"

One of my car and bike buddies in South Africa had asked me for some US license plates for his weekend getawaybb

He also likes knives. So I created a deal with him.
I would get him some plates and a 5'6" black snake skin in the post before I left and he would get me an Okapi knife in the post for Donnies collection

Now Okapi's have the dubious honour of beingknown in South Africa to have killed the most gangsters in drunken and gang fights.

They are real cheap n nasty but they have a special allure.
So maybe one will add a bit of interest to Donnie's collection of higher end knives.

From there I carried on past some more interesting places.

Later in the day at one of my stay awake and have a coffee breaks the internet delivered a lovely message from Clem and Bomp who were clearly missing me much.

One for all the South Africans

And even a Katy's Trail.

The road went on and on.
And I certainly enjoyed myself. Listening to a Satelite Country music station.

NSFW !!

PARENTAL ADVISORY.

EXPLICIT LYRICS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

Recorded in the Ozark Mountains.

The roads became narrower and at one point I stopped for an hour after turning back to go investigate a fleamarket shop. Bought a few pieces including some cool glass insulators for dennis.

Beautiful bridges all in use and functional. Some of the old Route 66 roads retain them as well.

Time flew and eventually I made it to Wright City after 5pm so the trip had taken just over 9 hrs and with detours off the motorway had ended around 410 miles.

Interestingly the cars fuel consumption calculation showed a healthy 25.3 mpg

Dennis told me that I had driven like a P#$$€¥ if that was the best I could do.
Well, thats fine too.
Not my backyard, not my car.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote