View Single Post
Old 11-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #8
dsraven

Re: Where to mount fuse block 55-59 Truck

did you say wired properly? hahahaha. how many times have you fixed somebody else's poor wiring job and thought "if only they had thought about repairing this mess". for me, LOTS.
I agree with ogre, if wired properly you will probably never have to look at the fuse panel for a long time.
here are a couple of pointers that work for me

get yourself a good set of cutters, strippers and crimpers
use quality components
don't overload circuits
think about fusible links or fuses at the source of power-the battery- so if there is an issue the whole harness isn't melted up to the fuse panel
use relays for larger draw items
use the proper size of connector for the guage of wire used
tug each crimped connector after crimping to ensure a good crimp was made
use wire loom to keep things tidy
use double walled shrink tube, don't tape over connections thinking it is water proofing
make yourself a wiring diagram as you go
don't twist wire conductors, after stripping, before inserting into crimp connector. overlapped wires can cut each other off inside the connector when crimped and make a resistance/heat source

another thing that can be done is to use auto reset circuit breakers that have threaded terminals. they can be placed on a common bus bar set up (they can be bought already set up on a clip on rail with mounting screw holes and a common bus bar) and can work well to supply circuits or a bank of relays. a single, fused, larger guage supply wire powers the bus bar. I have a few pics for reference. the breaker clips into the rail bracket. there are also ATO style auto reset breakers that can plug into the panel where an ATO fuse would normally go.

see the chart below I found on pirate 4x4 site. good indicator of wire size required for load and run length.
Attached Images

dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote