View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 10:54 AM   #302
knomadd

Re: Buried to Bagged 1972 2wd

Looking good! I hope you get the hydroboost mount figured out. I love how mine operate on my truck and GTO. They stop about as well as a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
I have noticed that alot of Guy's are going the Hydraboost direction.
(I'm NOT telling anyone how to build their rig) but in my personal experience I had a Hdraboost system go out while driving and you not only lose you Brakes but your Steering as well at the same time! It was the scariest thing I've had happen in along time. JMO Guys! I wouldn't want to see anyone get hurt or worse.

Mark...
I agree with Mark on one thing. It would be pretty scary to lose steering and brakes at once.

So you aren't scared off by Mark's experience I'll tell you what I know of the systems. I understand that when they fail, you would lose steering and brakes, but it's not a complete loss of either system. It's just like if your power steering pump goes out, you still have steering, it's just harder to do. It would be the same for the brakes. You can still stop and steer, it just takes more effort. If you break a line and lose all fluid, you would simply have a dry pump and no hydraulic assist. The manual connection is still there. If your brakes fail, you always have an e-brake (unless you removed it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
Also, I've been told that hydroboost can be noisy. I'm not sure if that's normal operation or if that's when there's a problem.
I've never heard a hydroboost system. I assume it would only be if you have a problem. Both of mine are as quiet as a church mouse.

Again, I'm not an expert and I don't claim to be. I've only had the experience of the two systems on my vehicles.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)

Last edited by knomadd; 12-28-2016 at 11:03 AM.
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote