View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #20
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Need tips about removing gas cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Did you try pushing in hard before turning the key??
Exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes pushing against an edge is the ticket. As Grumpy eluded to, start by pushing the high end down. Then perhaps center, and jiggle/twist that sucker off. It's easy to get frustrated with locks and such, but they eventually come loose with the right "attitude", so long as the lock itself isn't completely broken. I have the same cap, but couldn't tell you if it's the same part. I'm sure you've lubed the key hole a bit. If not you might want to.

Also, I'm no rocket scientist, but spark and gas aren't likely a good combination. Neither is a fuel system and metal fragments. I would not drill/cut into that. There must be a locksmith available to help, as a last resort.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 01-06-2017 at 09:37 PM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote