View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 02:43 PM   #2570
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry64 View Post
Wishing you well & plenty of pictures.
Thanks Larry.

A few pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh1965 View Post
Enjoy your new toy
Posted via Mobile Device
Spoke to you already with update. Hope your mum cooked a great dinner..... I had pizza, just not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Looking forward to our surprise.
Thanks John.

Report below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomp View Post
Sorry to say but they totally messed up on the sign.
I watched it being done "professionally" the right way. With safety glasses.

Ahhhh Greg, you had me chuckling here and also flashback to two of the best weeks of my life.

Back at home after a great day and mini road trip out with Paul Y, just over 200 miles.

The preamble to this little road trip is founded in my 2016 being a bit of a mess. So I have possibly been looking for a fix or my general mood.

I have had some amazing support from the likes of CraigRK, JohnnyBravo, Paul Y and a variety of people on the various forums in different countries who read the various threads I contribute to.
There is also Miss Katy who does not necessarily understand or care too much for the madness of wanting an old car........ But she also said that I should do what I felt was right for me?

In May last year I saw an online advertisement for a 1971 station wagon, one owner, V8, Sunburned California Patina, P/S, A/C, Auto, P/B all sorts of goodness where it was in America. At that point I had a wife and a truck to get back onto in the garage, despite knowing she wanted to leave. I just loved the look of the car, but was not in the market for one.

Fast forward to November after my US road trip and my mood was a bit low, the truck was not going far very quickly and I started to look for a fix.

I Found this ad on Rods n Sods

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/veh...%A35800-467209

I found myself going back to look at the ad every few days........... know the feeling? I really liked this car.

On Old years day, my lodger gave me notice for end January........ this meant that my mortgage repayments were going to go up by 30% and I should not be even thinking of cars n toys.
Ohh, and of course I am a contractor, so job security is not ideal.... poop.

Just after Christmas I noticed the price had been lowered.

So I called the seller in San Francisco for a 30 minute chat from my mobile.

Still dithering about whether I should even consider buying this thing, I ended up speaking to an ex girlfriend from 10 years ago whose council I seek from time to time as she is a bit brutal and also quite blunt but always honest. She made a few valid comments and asked a few questions.

What value do you place on having that car?

ITS A TOY.

Do you think you deserve it?

ERRRMMMM?

How do you reward Rian for his hard work?

NOT SURE I REALLY DO

Will it put a smile on your face?

HELL YEAHHHH !!

Well imagine how wonderful it will be when you start doing things to please Rian?

She told me her car's brake pressure sensor needed replacing recently. The washing machine had broken down. And said " I am a single woman, looking after two children on my own with a mortgage to pay.....

Get my point ?"

If I make the statements above my life's narrative then I will be a grumpy old woman...

All this stuff is just part of life honey.......

The opportunity has opened up for a lodger with whom you can have a more rewarding experience....

Go look at the car and buy it if it is right.

So that brings us to today's road trip.

I met Paul at a predesignated spot.

I had taken along two 6 litre jerry cans and bought fuel to put in the car for a decent drive and road test.

Paul checking up on his world........

Then we drove over to where the car was stored.

Greeted by Dennis, an old fan of trucks and wagons, he rebuilds a lot of stuff and one of his new additions is this one owner low mileage F250 that had a camper shell on all its life.

His workshops are a dream, that is all.

I decided to not post loads of pics of all his toys but rather his latest resto project........ of course it's a pickup truck.

Can you guess what it was before?

Then it was on to the car we had come to see.

1971 Pontiac Lemans Sportwagon

Dennis drove it out and then onto the ramp so we could look under it and inside in the daylight.

And here is the kicker, the video clip below shows what happened today, the first time in his life......... not funny, but shows how easy things can change. We fixed that in a few minutes.

CLICKY LINKY:
Paul Y did the whole mechanical check and we found the car has many new maintenance parts etc, he will be along later to describe what he saw.

Back end with two way tailgate with electric window.

So after two hours with Dennis and Paul, I decided to walk away from the car, as it does not completely blow my hair back.

I am gutted that in the end it was not what I needed or wanted, but when Paul logically asked me "If you look at it from your kitchen window in the morning, will it make your heart beat faster and will it make you want to take it for a drive"

My answer honestly was that I did not think it would like the Chevy truck does.

[font size="5"][font color="e61982"]Now for the mathematics.[/font][/font]

At the advertised price of £5250.00 for a one owner V8 car which we both believe has really only done 31k miles if you look at the minimal wear on its controls, the fact loads of maintenance parts have obviously been replaced as needed over time. Trainsmission and engine oils are clean. All controls, lights, hooter etc worked when we went through them, the engine is smooth, transmission changes smoothly........

If you consider £2000.00 as shipping, then you know you are getting this car at bicycle money.

I am gutted, but it's not right to be the next Grizz car.

So this pic that I created a week ago in anticipation, will just be that, a pic.

Now go find me a car.......... or truck or something.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote