View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
CSHADES

1940 defroster vents

I don't know if anyone is interested but I like to share info to save other people time. I run the original heater in my 1940 truck that is my avatar. the one problem I have had with doing that is the truck never had defrost vents or motor in it. I usually put the truck away by the end of October so having not having the defrost is usually not a big deal unless it raining. It is hard to keep the windows clear during a rain storm even in july. So this last weekend I decided to pull my dash out to test fit the cool replacement dash I am going to show you guys in another thread, trust me it is very cool and I haven't seen it in any other 39-46 truck. I have been collecting original heaters, defrost motors and vents out of the various parts trucks, swap meets and ones that people have just given me knowing I collect this kind of junk. I had found a couple of ok vents out of a 46 truck that I had cut up for parts and a really nice defrost blower out of my collection to put in the truck. I decided I should test fit them before blasting, painting and wiring. I found out that the 46 vents do not fit in the original holes for 1940. They are longer and narrower then the 39-40 vents, not sure about the 41 vents. I am working on my 1939 truck(project 39 thread) which did have the original vents in it. So I ended up opening up the slots with a die grinder and redrilling the mounting holes. The other problem I had was the defrost hose is 1 1/2 inch i.d. You can buy it from chevs of the 40s and I am sure other places but I really didn't want to pay the shipping costs. I actually found that gates makes the hose and you can get it from the local stores the Gates part# is 23824 it comes in a 6 foot section which is a bit long but you can cut it to whatever length you need. I paid $20.00 for the hose. I hope this helps any one working on getting defrost.
CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote