View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #21
moregrip

Re: my C10 project....building a truck from a heap of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
it's a Catch-22 sometimes.... You want it done fast, cheap, or correct? Pick 2 of the 3 options.

For reference, I paid a local to me/well known shop to help w/some suspension & related fab work on my longest tenured project years ago (my 67 Retro-Rod project dates back to the late 80's for the record). In the early 90's, I paid for a pair of coil-overs, some frame boxing material, & 3" mufflers w/exhaust tubing. To help offset my costs, I helped w/the fab related items I could: I cut & fit most of the boxing plate for the frame so I knew those pieces were good to go; I did the generic layout/gross cuts for the exhaust; & I spot cleaned the epoxy primer off the frame for welding (I had already stripped, blasted, & epoxied the frame @ my place).

Their work was to weld in the boxing plate for select areas (T/A x-member for exhaust ports + for rear axle c-notches); make the transition pieces to finish the exhaust layout & weld it out; build rear C/O mounting brackets; & build reinforced c-notches.

I pre-paid about $500 for the parts/materials. I was a little surprised when I got my bill for the labor.... almost $1200. Not that it was overly excessive; but in my head I did a lot of the 'pre-fab' grind to fit grunt work & figured that would really make an impact on cost. I could only imagine what the bill would have been just dropping it off w/a 'to-do' punch-list. The gut punch? The c-notches were not aligned for the axle centerline @ the planned/discussed ride height of the frame rails (the notches made contact w/the T/A's U-bolts).

So $1200 spent for labor & then some of that was still going to have to be corrected. I was more than frustrated. The money could have paid for a welder (machine). Once the machine is paid for, all future work diminishes its cost.... Since then, no more shops for me if @ all possible.

I bought my own machine (1yr financing @ 0% if paid before the year was up).
I started doing small fab jobs on one of my frames & that trucks sheet metal to improve my skill level.
Then I started building notched front cross-members (built 4 to sell which in turn paid for the machine).
I cut-up, modified, & built a chassis for my 64 project.
I did another front x-member + all the fab work for the rear suspension on my dually (step notches, 4-bar w/Panhard bar, raised bed floor).
I helped do suspension & build mods for my buddy's kids car which we traded out in labor (he helped do my interiors on my 64 & my dually).
In the future I plan to completely modify/build a new chassis for that first long term project that helped start me in this direction years ago.....

Investing in tools is wise if you use them. They can/will pay for themselves.
After tools & if time is the driving force, be on the lookout for rust free parts to swap vs the hours/money required to repair rusted stuff. There's no shame in working smarter vs harder.
First, I thank you for taking the time to post your experiences and advice, very cool man.

I'll be the first to admit, I want a welder.....no question about it! I even took 2 college courses, years ago, in SMAW and TIG, I'm somewhat familiar with those processes.....I've run a MIG on an occasion or two, no significant issues I can remember. Although my day to day time is limited(work/family/honeydo list), my total length of time for the build is fairly indefinite (which can be both a good thing and a bad thing, for me at least)......I tend to go all Mr perfection on stuff. I will also say, I borderline hate paying someone to do a job I believe I can do better even with little to no experience on the task. I've seen it first hand 100 times, and I always come to the same conclusion, do it yourself! Of course, I need a painful reminder every once in a while as to why I do as much of my own work as I possibly can. Probably why at 45 my back is $h!t, but I digress. Your example above helps quite a bit in remembering why we do things as passionate enthusiasts vs a company for profit. disclaimer: I understand, not every company out there sucks, but many do (end rant/opinion)

So I think if I adjust my plans slightly, start saving for a MIG welder, maybe work some smart trades/sales, and ultimately learn some new fab skills, this build has a better chance of ending with higher overall satisfaction.

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)

Last edited by moregrip; 01-11-2017 at 03:25 PM.
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote