View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 05:58 PM   #1
elks

CS 130 Alt Help?

I have a 1972 C20. It is pretty clean however in recent time I have installed a new engine. Did a fuel injection from affordable fuel injection, HEI, etc. Last thing was a CS 130 alternator.

So I used this link to convert over to a CS130.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

Hooked everything up and it worked great 14.6 volts running. Good power for everything including electric fans etc.

Next day went to start it up and battery was dead. Charged the battery and with the key did checked for amp draw. got 3.3 to 3.5 amps with everything off. So I started through the fuse pannel, no difference, disconnect ECU no difference, checked the HEI wire, no luck, pulled fan relay etc. Nothing was causing a draw.

When I pulled the 2 wire pigtail on the alternator the draw was gone. Did some more work. Disconnected (cut) the blue voltage signal wire and still a draw. The only time I get the actual draw is when the larger red battery wire is connected and the wire that is supposed to run from the battery terminal on the alternator and the black wire to the 2 wire plug are hooked up. this means that the only time I get the draw is when the larger red wire is making contact with the #2 terminal on the alternator. This is the little wire that jumps from the back of the alt to the plug on the alt.

Does this mean something is wrong with my alternator? Is that little wire supposed to complete a circuit in the alternator?

Thanks for any help I have tried to figure it out but have had no real luck.