View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 08:42 PM   #24
HunterRotten

Re: 350 v 454. What's the best option for my situation?

There has been quite a lot of feedback here and I have read everything that has been posted. I appreciate all the information everyone has shared! There is a bit of confusion I see in terms of where my truck is at but I think that's my fault for not clarifying.

Suspension is a bit unknown. I plan on lifting the front end up as it is too low. I have 2.5" drop spindles I plan on keeping on the front, making the coils the determining factor (and of course the engine.) The rear end as of today has 4+1 leaf springs, rated for 1950 lbs each with caltracs. The spring has been flipped under the axle for a drop.

Drivetrain. I had fabricated driveshaft made at a local shop that will connect my Tremec TKO 500 5 speed manual to my GM 12 bolt. I have a open differential with 3.42's and will for some time.

Engines in question:
A 1972 dated 350 2 bolt main. It has been built as far as I can tell however it has been built with stock equivalent parts. It's history is unknown, when I bought the truck in 2015 the oil the came out of it was scary. When I took it apart though it looked pretty good. It has an aluminum intake, new MSD distributor, and holley 660 street avenger. The heads on it are pretty good, I think we decided they were better than the vortec heads we have.

197? dated 350 4 bolt main. Bare block that's in rough shape, needs some machine work. We have some pistons and a camshaft for a 350 laying around.

1982 dated 454 4 bolt main. Seller says 115,000 miles. Comes with everything from the oil pan to the cast intake. For an extra $300 he will give me 094 heads to accompany it. I plan on using my MSD distributor and holley 660 street avenger 4 barrel carb with it. Probably change out the intake to an aluminum one.

This all being said. I have told the seller I am interested in the 454 with the 094 heads for $800 pickup on Saturday morning about 2 hr away. This will get me the big block I'm drooling over and I think I can make it fit my needs for less than $1,000 ontop of initial purchase.

If I'm wrong or backwards then call me out on it and tell me why. Worst case scenario when I put my truck back together (it's in more pieces than I can count) I'm not happy with my big block and I can save my pennies for awhile and build my bare block that'll be waiting.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote