View Single Post
Old 02-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #9
Hombre321

Re: Shortening leaf springs

Well your pictures tell and interesting story. Particularly the last picture. On the far left side of that picture I believe the tire or just the edge of it is showing, is that right? If that is what it appears to be I am afraid you are not going to able to just cut the spring and move the hanger back.

The reason is the front side of the spring is just going to be way to short and create problems with the geometery. Even looking at that picture you are talking about a very short spring even if you have one made and keep it symmetrical.

There are other ways to go about this but all of them will require quite a bit if fabrication and cost.

There surely is a simple solution, but I cannot see it. Like I said I am new to these old trucks. I am sure that some of these guys here on this board have dealt with something like this and will chime in.

If you do decide to step outside the box there are ways to do that. Coil overs, air bags. All of those will require some kind of way to position the rear end like a four bar. Not hard or complicated but different. Not saying that is the only way but it is one way. Lets see what the more informed truck guys say...