View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #144
knomadd

Re: Daves new 68 chevy swb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodnears View Post
I am trying to get some prices together. Does anyone know what a rebuild on a rearend goes for these days? I was gonna just send it to Moser and have them go through it new axles bearings the works.
I'm having a local hot rod shop go through mine when I get to that point. They are buying all the parts to add posi and change gears, pinion yoke and ordering my driveshaft. Their labor rate is flat for everything at $85 an hour. Kinda high, but I know they do good quality work. So for me, it's about the convenience of it being a few miles from my house, instead of towing it 50+ miles to another shop that was recommended to me. If I remember correctly, they quoted me about $2,200. Again, I think it's a bit high, but I've seen some $200 "rebuilds" that reuse the existing internals and just clean it up and put new bearings and seals in them. I've also seen some $4,000 builds that go as far as replacing the axles and everything inside. I'm sort of giving the extra $$ for convenience and piece of mind, knowing the quality they do instead of relying on someones recommendation.

It's best to look around and see what kind of reputation a shop has, then ask them for an estimate for the work. But budget a little higher, just in case.

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote