View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 05:35 AM   #242
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Cross sills can be formed fairly easy and won't require welding. Just find a shop with a sheetmetal brake and have new ones formed. The labor saved on the repair should be well worth it. The other option is to just use rectangular tubing the same height. It's overkill but simple. You just need to drill holes for the bed bolts and on the ends to bolt to the floor and sides.
Also, I know this is a bit late coming, but it's a fairly common practice to tighten those bed bolts until they snap, rather than cut them. They are not that big or strong and with the rust they usually snap off pretty quick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Personally, I wouldn't do the repair this way.
Cut out the bad pieces and weld in new parts. Or as hgs notes said, make new ones.
Luckily I know someone here in Purmerend who, most likely, can make these for you.
If you will, I can ask for an invoice?
But you have to give me some measurements then...
Did you check Prins Trucks? Maybe they sell new ones?
Damnit guys, you’re absolutely right, and seeing the rot is consolidated to 1,5 cross-sill, I’ll go for Kees his option, by cutting out the bad pieces and welding a replacement piece in.
I did have a quick look at LMC to see what a new cross-sill would cost, but is it me, or is there something weird in the picture? Is seems that the cross-sill is mounted the other way around compared to my bed? It seems on the LMC picture, the open end is facing down, as with my bed it’s facing up. (remember my bed is laying upside down)

1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod

Last edited by Steve-W; 03-16-2017 at 05:42 AM.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote