View Single Post
Old 03-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Re: rebuilding an old school 383 conversion...

Probably the least deseriable way to build a 383, but for $300 you did good if the block really cleans up ar +.040. Myself I'd not mess with it if it needs more. There is too many 0010 blocks out there to mess with thin cylinder walls.

That said,
Because the rest of the motor is somewhat low-end I wouldn't invest a buttload in a high end piston. BUT be cautious and realistic about what your doing too. MANY of the builders pistons, and KB pistons have a reduced compression height and will leave you wishing for compression.

While the block is at the machine shop have it cut to 9.000 deck, and IF your never going to hit the motor with boost or nitrous and are willing to spend the time to get it in tune (carb AND timing curve) so you don't have ANy detonation issues,,, I'd do a SpeedPro hypereutectic and a set of GOOD Plasma Moly FILE FIT rings . Ring seal and longivity is worth the extra cost over a set of cheap cast / ductile rings.

IF your thinking of stepping on it at all with RPM or boost,, do yourself a favor and do a quality forged piston (SRP / JE is my weapon of choice)

You didn't say what cc those heads are (intake runner or chamber) so piston dome / dish and cam, intake and such is WAY up in the air to comment on

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote