View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 01:38 AM   #16
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Insomnia sucks, as does snoring, especially when it is not you snoring..... cue 04.15

Followed by a cat in bed around the same time, looking for a cuddle, while purring loudly, so snores one side, and Harley the other, so cuppa tea, feed cat and surf web downstairs.

At 05.15 on cue the lodgers came in from their night shift, a pair of brothers, twins and at age 68 they look more like 58 and behave like men much younger than that. Geordies...... so great to have booked into Casa Grizz for three days, money to the mortgage again. Quiet as mice, they along with the previous two, have been an absolute pleasure to have around. Long may it continue.

Back to the shed build.

I have tried to just get a couple of hours in every night after work till dark, so averaged around 2 hrs a night.

Having bought a few boxes of "50mm and 100mm length quick screws, and some new driver bits the costs of the project were still silly low. I may do an inventory of costs later.

I have to say, the right tools and equipment makes a big difference on progress, and being a solo job, it helps for sure.

After that main framework was up, I decided to continue with the roof.

With all of Andy's planks, it also meant I had enough planks to create the roof, and save a further £66.00 that two sheets of decent ply would cost me, as I could not find used hoarding to buy anywhere.

Laid them out.

My last circular saw had eventually given up the ghost the night I did the framework for the roof and I completed the cuts with a handsaw and my trusty B&Q cheapest brand jigsaw, which I have managed to now drop on its face, bending its foot to the extent that corrective surgery was needed with a large garage ball pein hammer, accuracy now certainly not guaranteed, but it cuts.

So I popped into Screwfix for a second time to get more screws to replace the ones I stole off Mickeys work bench and bought a cheap circular saw. At £55.00 it was bought purely on spec, decent power, a soft start trigger and 190mm adjustable blade.

So on Wednesday evening after work I fitted the roof and also painted the rough cut timber inside of it.......

You may ask me why, and hopefully the reply will make sense.

Light reflection.

Keep in mind that the roof is getting felted in the end when you notice the gaps.

Who remembers the size of the footprint of the shed??

Remember the reasons for it being weird shaped?

Yes, my tree had a lotto dowith it, as did the free door I found in the GP surgery skip, and then of course the fact I am greedy and thought a couple of extra square feet in space sounded good.

I had not considered for a moment that all this would result in nothing being straight.

This included the roof.

BUGGGERRRRRRR...!!!!!!!!!!

Can you see the mistake?

Well, not a mistake, because any way you cut it, there would be an odd shaped wall or roof angle.

But by the time I realised it, it was too late and almost dark.

So I showered and went to bed, having shared a few pics with the likes of mates Martin, Kevin, CraigRK and Ta2Don and Dennis in Saint Louis.

Sadly, most of them suffer from varying degrees of OCD and had to state that it was just not right........ "You gotta fix it man"

I was working in London for the day on Thursday, so by the time I was on the 07.24 train a plan had hatched, and I could address it at least partly.

I walked from Charing Cross to St Thomas' Hospital, and again felt privileged for the random stuff I get to see.

Small shipping container coffee shop.

Your doctors transport?

So Thursday evening I went back to basics, and it made me smile once I had gotten on with it.

Back in a while to update.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote