Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #45
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well I am still waiting on the ole machine shop to get me some numbers..I understand that there are kinda busy right now...so no need to rush them...I am sure they will get on it as soon as they can.

Since I have some extra time I started on the engine bay...I had sprayed oven cleaner on pretty much the entire engine bay and let it sit for a couple of days. Last night I pressure washed everything off. I was really surprised at how clean it made everything. It actually took off the paint on the inner fenders and firewall. The surprising thing to me was that it didn't take it down to the metal...It seems that the panels were coated with some silver looking type paint, or dipped in something. In a couple of places that had rust on them I sanded them down and you could actually tell between the coating and the actual metal.

Lastly I rattle canned one inner fender to see what it was going to look like...The paint was Semi Flat paint and didn't do too bad....after it had dried I took a purple scotch brite pad and went over it again, and it really smoothed it out....So since the engine will be delayed for a few weeks I am going to get the engine bay pretty much finished. I am not going to take it apart so I will do the best I can doing it this way...I have to remind myself that this is going to be a driver truck and not a show street rod......
Attached Images

Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote