View Single Post
Old 05-08-2017, 03:10 PM   #118
skyjgmc

Re: 70' GMC "Walter"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gmcc10 View Post
With the 3 speed it would be fine to putt around town in, but the distance between gears is large. Do you know if it is a saginaw or muncie? They have different first gear ratios and even then there is some variation. I personally think it would be fine for putting around if you had some 3.05 gears in the rear, if you don't I have a set to sell you, cheap. But you would be much happier with a 4 speed auto for town driving and highway.

If you have 3.56 gears in the back at 65 mph you are going to be turning about 2750 rpm and 70 would be 3000 rpm. 3.73 or 4.11 would be even worse.

If you have a 3.05 rear 65 mph is 2500 rpm, 70 is 2800 rpm and 60 is 2200 rpm.

Remember nothing is free, you will pay for it some how. With the 3 speed you will be sitting on a not as thin wallet, rowing through gears in town wishing you were drinking coffee as your mileage suffers a bit, as will your hearing and the hearing of everyone else if you even think about leaving city limits and drive it at highway speed as you broadcast aggression out two exhaust pipes the entire way, even if you are not in a hurry. With a 4l80e you will glide through town or down the highway or even on the interstate with your butt firmly resting on the seat (not as much $$ in wallet) with coffee in hand nodding to the passers by waving at you in your cool old truck as you drive in confidence knowing you have the proper gear for every possible situation. Both appeal to me for very different reasons.
Well when you put it like that it!!! Maybe I should just convert it to tesla power so I can plug it in while I run in to get my unicorn expresso and muffin,. Bwahaha!!! I'm not completely sold on the whole 3 spd plan just yet I don't know why but I have a thing for manuals maybe it's my adhd and I have to always be doing something, but then again burnouts are way easier whilst sipping on an expresso with my pinky up than trying to three leg it and risk blowing a ujoint. Ahhh decisions decisions...
skyjgmc is offline   Reply With Quote