View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #307
rkn463

Re: 68 C50 Looongbed pickup build

This weekend I made some progress, I now have a fan shroud. As seen in the previous posts the shroud from the 89 was too tall and not wide enough. Fortunately I had a spare shroud identical to the 89 (it came from the school bus that donated the power steering box). I was able to hack it up and along with an 8 foot long 1/8" thick 2x2 angle aluminum I was able to fabricate a shroud. I didn't stop to take pictures often enough, but I'll share what I have.

First is a shot of the shroud that is getting sacrificed. All cleaned up and ready to cut:

Name:  AAA.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  36.2 KB

I took three inches off the passenger side of this one and removed one inch off of the one that will go on the truck. In the next picture you can see that piece added on. At the bottom I trimmed down a piece of the angle to fit and pop-riveted it on. Because the two pieces were different heights I relief cut the main part so that I could pull them in to line. Then I cut a piece of the angle in half in order to get a 2 inch wide flat piece and pop-riveted that long the seam pulling them together as I went. Here is how it looks:

Name:  BBB.jpg
Views: 786
Size:  32.5 KB

Here is the back side:

Name:  CCC.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  33.4 KB

And here you can see the angle reinforcement at the bottom. The oblong hole is where it bolts to the core support.

Name:  DDD.jpg
Views: 794
Size:  27.1 KB

More to come...

-Richard