View Single Post
Old 05-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #21
Foot Stomper

Re: Stripping Body Panels to Bare Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by nail pounder View Post
Ok, I'm curious to know what you and martinsr would do. My 58 has had two paint jobs over the original blue. I've got blue (OG) then white, grey primer and top coat is yellow. The door jambs only had the yellow over original silver, and it wasn't sanded properly so I peeled it with a razor. The question is, it all seems pretty solid with the exception of a few spots, so should I just scuff everything that is good and on the bad areas use a 60? Or 80? Then 180 or 220? And clean it all up and prime, then hit any body work? Inside the bed is bad, mostly because they just painted over all the chips. The paint isn't failing, it's just ugly. I just spent 45min with some 80 to see how easy, or not that easy its going to be. The end goal for this truck is a nice daily driver, so I'm sure it will end up with door dings and chips eventually.
Paint that comes off with a razor blade must be removed for sure. Anywhere the paint is dis bonding, you need to get it off because your new paint will fall off with it.

Where you have multiple layers of "tightly adhered" coatings, you are safe to prime and paint. Where you have repairs to body, grind to bare metal and start there if and where possible.

Tightly adhered body filler from an earlier repair is ok to leave it alone unless you think the repairman did a crappy job of it in the first place and you think you can get better metal work done.

A good high build urethane primer will help for sure. I won't recommend any brand (as some are on here it seems selling "their" brand) but will leave that to you to decide. There are many good brands and products to choose from. I recommend finding a good body shop paint supply store and getting to know the guys there. They will be far more help to you as you go through your project.

The ugly bed onced smoothed out of any paint ridges from painting over damaged areas will turn out nicely if the proper care and products are used.

When it comes to grit selection (and other product technical application questions) always refer to the manufacturer's technical data sheet (TDS) as it will tell you exactly what to do.

Don't mess with success... follow the TDS!

Good luck with your truck... please post pictures.

My 1959 GMC build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=686989
Foot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote