View Single Post
Old 05-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #7
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: 1966 ammeter with new engine, alternator, and wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSigns View Post
Here is one thing to think about. I redo a lot of these clusters and the amp gauges in more than half of them are over heated or melted. If you have added high amp draw accessories to the truck to go along with the higher capacity charging system the factory gauge will go up in smoke under that much load. This is the reason the companies like American Auto wire that make harnesses for these trucks drop it from the harness. For safety and reliability I would not wire it in the system.
Jimmy
Jimmy I think you're right on except that I believe you are referring to the pre 63 years where all the current runs through the ammeter. Like Franken says, the 63 to 72 years use the charge indicator. It could be that the prior 67 years do overheat if they get too much current because they are not fused. Is that what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
The battery gauge is nothing more than an indicator of charge/discharge based on the battery having a more or less positive voltage than the alternator. Almost no current passes through it and there's no danger from it regardless of load on the electrical system. I deleted the next thing I typed...
I am curious about this harness and was wondering if It's something I haven't
seen. I'm thinking, I was thinking what you were thinking, but I used invisible ink.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote