View Single Post
Old 06-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #3
svr

Re: 57 Short Box 235 5sp C4

Wasnt sure just where i wanted to go the project but knew it needed cab corners, lower hinge pockets ect. Pretty regular stuff. The old 235 ran pretty good, you could see head had been off and probably redone at some point as the paint was gone on it only, probably at least a valve job had been done and maybe more hard to tell, good oil pressure, started easy cold, not hardly any smoke, decided to keep it, and add a T5. Old stock rear end had a lot of slop when i turned the yoke back and forth, pinion leaked and wheel seals leaked. I found a ford 9" from a early 70's pickup and plan A was to switch them and go with stock leaf springs and eventually give the front end a mustang II front suspension. Plan A wasnt a bad plan but being a guy that just cant leave pretty good alone I really wasnt happy with plan A. Watching the builds on the forum provided a lot of ideas and things to think about. Did I tell you my body work skills suck? I struggled along as I found more things here and there on the body to fix. Continued working on the cab, couldn't find a place to stop and before long interior was stripped, fuel tank, wireing and all, no turning back now. Sorry i'm not very good at stopping and takeing pics. Some time dureing the cold snowy winter reading build threads here and everywhere i could find them. The C4 builds really intrigued me, but had kind of pushed it out of my mind as being to much work and money. Then craigs list popped up with a complete rear suspension for a $100. Advertised as a 44 from an '87 stick shift car, next day i braved a snow storm to go see it, turned out to be a 36 from a '85 car, but for a franklin i brought it home and it was game on.
svr is offline   Reply With Quote