View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #19
vintovka

Re: Buying a crate motor

I just bought a GM crate engine (350-290) and has some hindsight advice.

Don't buy the one with chrome kit.. The timing cover leaks like a seive

Id buy one from Jegs or Summit with free shipping. Summit has better customer service BTW,

Don't believe the BS about benefits of buying one from a GM dealership. GM Engine warranties all the same. Dealership just wants your $$$ and will tell yous anything to make a sale. They don't want to budge off MSRP very easily too.

If you having some else install it get a total price up front then have it shipped directly to them. Crates are heavy.

See if you can sell your core engine before you yank it. Tough to store and sell out of vehicle.

Buy all your components yourself and avoid mark ups.

Don't trust Edelbrock for quality carbs. They sold me a bone fide new in the box lemon. Mechanics went nuts trying to adjust badly built carb and gave up after Talking to Summit carb tech. Cost big $$ but Summit took it back ok. Edelbrock said tough sh-t..

Buy all your components locally if you can. Might cost more but with todays hit or miss quality control you can take them back until you get a good one.

Replace EVERY engine component including the Power Steering and Steering Gear box. I was assured my old ones were fine. Less than a week the latter puked all over my nice clean floor.

Replace every wire and hose. You'll be sorry if you don't

Use a brand new distributor if thats the way you want to go.

In real hindsight I wish i'd bought a used Cummins Diesel and chucked the whole 350 idea.

Last edited by vintovka; 06-04-2017 at 06:50 PM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote