View Single Post
Old 06-25-2017, 09:22 PM   #133
iowaboynca

Re: "1950 GMC" -Charlotte

Now the fun...

So the Thursday before last, we started having concerns with the A/C and it crapped out that Friday, blown compressor. Now for those of you following CA weather we just went through the mother of heatwaves out here, so the wife was pleased, to say the least. Long story short, we decided to replace the whole unit as the house is 10 years old, the compressor and coil will be matched together and 10 year parts and labor vs. 1 year warranty if we just replaced the compressor....so cha ching! $$$$

So with all that and the girls soccer the budget, both time and money is tightening, but hey we've all experienced that right?

So today I go out to tinker, and for some reason i decide to grind the cowl, just to see what kind of condition it was in. If you remember i stated way back when that I wanted to take to bare metal because I had seen some wonky stuff done by a P/O. Yeah!

Looks like ol' Charlotte was in a wreck or at least this cab was...
Name:  drive side.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  87.9 KB
Name:  driverside down.jpg
Views: 929
Size:  28.0 KB

As you can see there's a pretty big crease...the bondo was close to 1/2 thick in some places...

and another rust hole, but that was to be expected with the work that was needed on the front of the cowl.

Name:  drivecowlrust.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  40.3 KB

Just for the sake of it I checked the passenger side and there's a crease there too.

Name:  passen.jpg
Views: 933
Size:  27.2 KB

I guess my frustration is that this could have been fixed in the time to slap all the bondo on and wait for it to dry. Now i'm not going to cry too much because this is still better that a lot of work you guys on the east coast fight, but I'm frustrated and the extra time hit...oh well...such is the nature of these trucks.

I still need to finish up the brake bracket but that shouldn't take too long. I'm taking a playbook from you S10 guys and using a S10 brake/clutch bracket. I also need to get my hands on a steering column. Was trying to make a full size work and shocking, it won't.

Well that's about it for now, thank god the temps are coming down as the A/C should be installed by Wed.

Stay tuned...