View Single Post
Old 06-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #136
waspp

Re: 3 speed overdrive!!, now about getting it in.......

I finally got around to installing one of the OD transmissions I bought 2 years ago. One of the units had been behind a big block and several gears had been damaged from burnout abuse, but the owner said the OD worked well. The other unit looked in very good condition but he knew nothing about its history. I unfortunately gambled on the unknown tranny! I wired everything up according to the info here in the above posts and went for a test ride. I didn't have a cable for the lockout so i left the trans in OD. The first thing I noticed was the freewheeling which made a huge difference in the truck not lurching back and forth creeping down my driveway. Out on the highway the unit shifted nicely and the OD dropped in as it should. What a difference at highway speed! Everything seemed to work great until my 3rd trip out when I heard a whineing crunching noise (you know the one you never want to hear). I pushed the clutch in and noticed my OD was gone as well as the freewheeling. When I got home I noticed the lock out lever had no spring resistance at all, it still moved into the lock out position but the amount of throw doesn't compare to the other trans I have. So the question is could that lockout shaft have moved forward (for some reason) and not be returning with the movement of the lever? Anyhow I have replaced the front half of the other trans and will swap it with this one and try again!
waspp is offline   Reply With Quote