Thread: Johns 66
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 09:29 PM   #138
Johns 66

Re: Johns 66

Well another day in the ole shop...Motor got broke in with the heat exchanges recommended by the builder so it should be good to go now. After the last heat cycle we had to let it completely cook down so I started working on a couple of other things....and lets just say the more I went the further I got behind.

I think I once heard that bondo covers a multitude of sins. In the grand scheme of things it really is not that bad...just looks bad. I was able to get a couple of the smaller pieces cut and will try my hand at getting them welded in tomorrow after church.

As usual I found some rust in the normal places...bottom of the door, cab corners and just a little on the front fenders...What I did find that was kind of irritating was the lower bolt that holds the fender on had been broken off...and instead of fixing it correctly they simply welded the bottom of the fender to the support. So I had to cut off the weld, remove the fender and take the broken bolt out....it was stubborn so I had to drill the bolt out but eventually I got the bolt out...will have a little welding to do on the support piece but it shouldn't be a big deal.

On the front fenders they had very small pin holes so I put POR15 on the and will weld the pin holes up, grind them down and recoat with some more POR 15. It seems to me the reason these fenders etc rust is that they retain moisture so I am going to drill some small holes in the bottom of the supports for water to drain...I hope thiss will alleviate future rusting.....I am also going to drill some small holes in the door bottom for the water to get out. Once I get the outside of the door welded up I will them spray some POR 15 on the inside of the doors and spray them with some boom mat...My hopes are that the issue of rust will not rear its ugly head for a very long time...if ever.
Attached Images

Johns 66 is offline   Reply With Quote