View Single Post
Old 08-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #1466
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

My truck is finally back on the road. I brought it into a local shop because I just don't have the time right now between the job, the house project and the family obligations and I want to drive it again before fall.

What he found after pulling the tranny was that the bushing actually walked out towards the seal and blocked off the flow for the drain back. Luckily the torque converter wasn't damaged. The odd thing was that the new bushing, when put into the pump plate, was too tight on the torque converter. He had a junk tranny for parts and used the pump plate and gears from that one. He said the gears were a little tighter than mine, less wear. The bushing was pinned to keep it from moving in the future. He drilled out the drain hole to flow better and keep pressure off the seal.

He also dropped the pan and replaced the filter. It was due, fluid was getting dark. He turned around the detent cable hook up so it was easier to install it. I didn't know why it was such a PITA when I hooked it up years ago. A couple of the pan bolt holes needed heli-coils in them.

I had him replace the pinion seal on the axle since the driveshaft was out and it was on the lift already. The exhaust had to be dropped out of the way so the new collector gaskets fixed the exhaust leak I had. Also, one of the exhaust hangers was broken so he replaced that.

I picked up some all-thread to get the air filter back on. The new throttle body uses a thicker bolt than the old one. There is a squeak from the engine, one of the pulleys I suppose. It's all new parts so I should be able to get it replaced under warranty but the work to do it is on me.

The drive was good. The power is up and it does nice smoky burn outs, but the shift is really soft with the new torque converter. There are some new noises and rattles from all the work done lately I'll have to figure out, but it's back on the road and running good.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote