Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 AM   #1266
Vic1947

Re: Rat repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rat View Post
Got the inside primered about an hour ago, maybe 2? Was sitting here thinking how nice it would be if I could just mix up some color and top coat it without any prep within a certain timeframe, is this a pipe dream?

This is PPG DP50lf grey primer and DP402lf catalyst.

Top coat is DCC single stage with DT reducer and DCX61 hardener, ratio 4:2:1

This is the pdf for the top coat. http://www.myrv10.com/N104CD/paint/p-168.pdf
For DP50 I believe the posted recoat window is around 7 days. To make sure, you can put a small amount of urethane reducer on a rag and gently dab a tiny, out of the way spot on the fender and see if any of the DP primer transfers to the rag. If it does, you're good to go. However, if the primer is fully catalyzed and does not show on the rag, you need to scuff the surface before applying anything else.

That said, my "opinion" is that you should always final block any primer before applying a color topcoat. I no longer have access to a clean environment for painting, so a few dust nibs almost always find their way into my work. Also, you have to be a top notch painter to lay down heavy primers without some orange peel to the surface. I find it best to final sand the surface with 500-600 grit paper before applying the color coat... whether single stage or BC/CC. Just my $.02 worth.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote