View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 02:17 AM   #283
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Today was the start of the headliner installation. I went with FRP from the big box store. I looked into sheet ABS but I wasn't overwhelmed with it and I was able to get FRP cheaper. There are some nice FRP options out there, both in color and texture but an additional 3-500 hundred dollars for delivery put them out of my budget. After picking up five sheets and some joining H strips. (If all goes well I will only need three sheets but just in case.)
The first thing to do was to install the bows that the support trim snap on to. My Burban did not come with any installed. I believe the PO had removed them and after covering the factory perforated panels with a grey felt material they screwed the panels in place. Fortunately I was able to get two of the bows from a wrecking yard with three of plastic support trim pieces. After cleaning them up I noticed that the bows are slightly different in size and shape with the one in the back being longer and taller. I didn't have the center bow so I don't if there are three sizes or if the back two are the same. ( I believe there are three sizes.) The first 3 photos show the bows and how they attach. The red X is where the center bow would have been installed at the factory.
Using one of the old panels I laid out the cut lines on the back of the FRP. I decided to start with the back of the truck first hoping that by the time I got to the front I would have a better idea of what I was doing and it is easier to access the back. As this was the first panel I cut I didn't take any chances and laid it out slightly oversize. To keep things as true as possible I marked a centerline on the pattern and on the FRP then aligned them before marking the cut line. Before cutting anything I remeasured the area inside to make sure that it all made sense and would fit as expected.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote