View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #10
ryans69chevy

Re: College kid restoring a C10

If you are anything like me, that is probably the best impulse buy of your life!

I bought my pickup 8 years ago now and wanted to do the same thing as you do. I was a senior in high school and just bought my dream truck. I had a blast fixing the important stuff that most people can't see like all new brakes, master cylinder, new tires, new bushings in a lot of places. Everything I focused on was to make it drive safe and be reliable.

After that I started tackling the cab - I ripped it apart and redid the floor and put carpet in and got my bench redone. It was money well spent and I learned a lot since I did most of the work myself. This was all done my senior year of high school. I got that part all done and couldn't stop.

I drove my pickup through my whole first year of college and wanted to do a full restoration on it. So after my first year of college I tore the pickup apart and started on the frame. This is where I went in the wrong direction since I wanted to restore it and funds started running out fast. After college I moved to an apartment and wanted to buy a house so the pickup resto was put on hold.

Fast forward to now and if you look at my build thread you can that it's not even close to being done. I'm still working on the frame! Every time I see one of these pickups driving around I wish I would have waited to tear mine apart. I miss driving it.

Maybe you aren't wanting to go this far into a restoration like I did, I'm not trying to talk you out of it or anything, just trying to share my story with you and let you know that I probably wasnt ready for this project at that point in my life. I wish I would have left it like how I had it before I tore it apart.

Your pickup looks to be a keeper and if you like you said clean it up a bit you will have a blast! Use this sites' search engine tab to your advantage. You will find some cheap ways to clean the paint up to looking pretty cool with just some labor hours.

Good luck and keep posting pics! BTW what are you going for in school?
ryans69chevy is offline   Reply With Quote