Thread: Sold American!
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2017, 11:22 PM   #29
68c10airstream

Re: Sold American!

As a past dealer mechanic, in the late 90's i worked at a dodge jeep eagle dealer, and we owned a toyota and gmc brand. Because of financial issues they sold off the gmc and toyota brands. Afterwords i asked about the toyota T5 trucks costing as much or more than a comparable gm truck and he told me (he loved toyota's) that the company had an extra $5,000 in clear profits built into every one of them!! I asked him why?? He said " toyota said we could inflate a toyota trade in price by using the $5,000 at their discretion! He also said he could sell them all day lond at invoice and still make the $5,000! Boy if a us company did that would there be an outcry.

Here is what i noticed about the typical usa/foreign mindset; This is exactly what happened. This customer had a dodge minivan and a eagle talon (mitsubishi eclipse). This guy would come in with owner's manual for the talon in hand, highlighted areas of MAINTENANCE to be performed. Asked if he wanted an estimate? NO, just do it. At 50,000 miles, timing belt, water pump while we are in there, balance shaft belt, etc, etc, etc,. Now here is the good part!! His dodge minivan comes in hooked up to the wrecker with an antifreeze leat at 90,000 miles. Waterpump leaking, an easy external part to fix at a relative low cost. He comes to pick it up and *****es extensively about that repair. Hum, let me see, the same brain begged us to maintain his eagle talon, but spent 0000 dollars on maintenance on his dodge and *****ed about the waterpump repair! Isn't that ironic.

My neighbor (fantastic guy) has a 2009 toyota 4 runner with a v8 at 80,000 miles. I go over in detail his projected costs for timing belt ,water pump, and oh yah valve adjustment with these select fit discs that will need to be ordered and the expense associated with these and the local dealer is awful (owner went to jail for odometer tampering). I saved him gobs of money fixing a cracked exhaust manifold (it also contained the upstream primary catalytic converter($1400 i believe) and now the passenger side is doing the same thing.

So i drive my 2014 dodge durango 5.7 hemi v8 AWD with a lifetime, yes a LIFETIME service contract for both my wife and me. Cost up front $2900 dollars (discounted from the selling dealer) and $100 deductable. Covers all electronics and drivetrain except brakes and tires. Towing covered, and up to $1,000 in associated lodging.

i used to love subarus and worked as a subaru dealer mechanic from the 70's into the 90's. This fall pulled the daughter's 2009 forester engine at 110,00 miles to do the full service, t belt, tensioner, water pump all spinning idlers, headgaskets, noticed sunken exhaust guides= valvejob, full clutch job while it's out, replace almost rusted through oil pan, crank seals, yada,yada, and my discounted oem parts (25 percent discount from suggested list) cost me $1700.00 dollars. This would be an almost $4,000 retail repair!

Last edited by 68c10airstream; 12-15-2017 at 11:40 PM.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote