View Single Post
Old 12-20-2017, 10:09 PM   #40
gigamanx

Re: My Dream 1950 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lripka1950 View Post
That's primarily the brand's I was looking at, biggest problem I have is that I don't have 220 in the garage but I could pull it from my laundry room.

I was looking at floor pans today, with the floor and part of the angled part of the firewall missing would it be worth it to purchase a complete floor pan to save time?

I started to to look at pullys, alts, starters, ext. For the engine I need to get this truck running anyone have a good resource to look at for the smallblock?
Two items. I put in a 220v with about $40 worth of parts from home depot. I am not an electrician at all! I cheated by just making one end of the junction box a dryer plug then added two outlets...one dryer, one welder. Plug the dryer into the new dryer plug and welder when you need it. I then got a 50ft welding cable from Amazon and voila, welder in the garage

I would heed JoeDoh's message not to gather a bunch of parts too soon. That's how I burned money early on was getting stuff I thought I would need. By the time I got to that point in the project, I had learned enough to realize I needed different stuff.

My 350 came without any accessory drive. I got a new starter. I spent a boat load of money getting that stupid thing running. A few ways to research:

1. Will it be cheaper to find a donor 350 that rebuild that one?
2. It will be cheaper to find the full accessory drive from a late model truck like a Silverado. I believe mine was from a 1995 Chevy 1500. On CL or eBay, you can grab the whole set of brackets and pulleys for maybe $200. eBay search "sbc 350 serpentine" you'll see what I mean.
3. Hit up a junk yard and pull all the accessories from a 350.

The most expensive way is to do what I did...source each part new and try and hobble it together only to turn around and have to go with option #2 because there are a hundred options that don't work together haha.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote