View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #7
KevinK7

Re: 1968 C20 to C10 frame differences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
1/2&3/4 are basically the same height, the 3/4 has larger doubling plates in it. Everything will bolt up assuming you have 2 leaf or 2 coil spring trucks. Not too sure if you want short 5/6 lug truck why you are considering an 8 lug chassis though(unless it’s a bare short frame)?
First, Thanks for the replies.
The truck I have is a '68 C20 longbed, coils in rear (that has the 8-lug).

The frame I came across is a 68 shortbed frame (frame only). I would consider swapping IF that was a feasible (or even possible) route to go.

From the replies, it does appear there are 'some' differences leaving me (for the most part) with two options:
1.) Cut/shorten my existing C20 frame and change what's necessary to drop and switch to 5 or 6 lug.
2.) Find a complete C10 frame with all it's suspension parts and swap in drop components.

My preference would option 1. (The only drawback being I cut the frame, but I can live with that if it gets me where I want to be).

I am not building a show truck, my plan is to keep the original patina, lower it, add some wheels and drive the thing.
As for going to 5/6 lug, that is by no means a 'deal breaker', I'm just trying to increase my wheel options. With that said, if I want to go disc's up front and lower (ie. Early Classic's C20-C10 drop spindles) I believe I need to go 5 or 6 lug...??
Maybe I don't even need ECE drop spindles and suspect with swapping out the C20 lower control arms (and?) I could use other spindles to gain disc brakes) and lowering springs only). Just to give an idea on how much drop I'm looking for, I believe I am in the range of (about) 2-2.5" front and 3-4" rear.

I am open to suggestions on all of this... that's why I'm here

Thanks again,

Kevin

For the record, here's the truck as I got it...

Last edited by KevinK7; 03-08-2018 at 08:15 PM.
KevinK7 is offline   Reply With Quote