View Single Post
Old 03-28-2018, 11:19 PM   #10
dmjlambert

Re: Intermittent severe missing or hesitation

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
None of those suggestions address the intermittent problem.

Your comment,
>> I'm kind of thinking about the pickup coil because the vacuum advance was recently fixed.<< could have merit.

The pickup doesn't usually go bad, but the two wires to it are constantly flexing with the operation of the vacuum advance. I would connect a hand vacuum pump to the vacuum advance and with the engine idling, operate the vacuum advance through its full range, multiple times. It wouldn't hurt to have the timing light connected and check that the advance is operating smoothly and returning to base timing as it should.
This is my top suspect. This is a good troubleshooting idea. I connected my timing light and went through about 100 cycles of letting a manifold vacuum port suck the distributor advance, and removing the tubing from the port and blocking the port with my finger. The vacuum advance worked great and showed with the timing light. I was thinking at some point it might have a tantrum but it did not. I did this at idle, and I repeated with my Lisle Throttle Pedal Depressor holding at a higher speed.

What I have here is an intermittent tantrum that lasts a few seconds, and so far recovers without the engine completely stalling. It is annoying.
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote