View Single Post
Old 04-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #6
bluex

Re: Anyone running trailing arms? Worth the upgrade?

I converted mine and I am very happy with the end result and the ride/handling after. The journey to get there however was horrible, but I didnt use the CPP kit. I would recommend that kit over the one I had. I dont think porterbuilt sells the conversion anymore so it doesnt really matter on that point.

I have an OD trans and no issues with my driveshaft (other than it hitting the trailing arm crossmember which was a design issue I had to solve) and its the same shaft I used with the leaf springs.

One thing to remember/know if you ever get to the point where super low, like laying frame is your goal you wont get there with this rear setup. The arms will hit the frame way before the frame gets to the ground. My truck sits the stock front crossmember about 1/4" off the ground and is fairly level when aired out. I was considering how to get it lower but I think I will leave it as is. My ride height is maybe slightly lower than a 5/7 drop. I have 2600 bags all around and it rides higher than I'd like in the rear at pressure so I think I'm going to swap to a 2500 just to get it a little lower at the same pressure.

There is a link in my signature to my swap install. Thanks to photobucket the pics are dead though. They probably wouldnt be very helpful though since I didnt use the CPP kit.

If you can find a 71/72 5 lug rear axle they are the same width as 73-87 and you wont have to weld on the axle perches.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote