View Single Post
Old 08-02-2018, 06:12 PM   #186
HunterRotten

Re: The Hawaiian Blue 1978 GMC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestep View Post
That is very unfortunate about the door latches. Are they aftermarket pieces? Can you show a picture of them to make it clear what the problem is.
Your junkyard in the jungle is really something!
I will look to see if I have a photo now, but I am not sure if I do. I was frustrated and just trying to figure out what was wrong. The latch I have and all of the rods are original to my truck and these doors. The exterior door handles and locks are brand new. I have no complaints about the locks, the clip is new but the rod on the back of it is OEM.

As far as the new door handles go, you have to trim the black button down to the same profile as the original. The original ones do not fit (They fall out the front of the handle, too small for the new casting.), so you have to trim the new ones down. I guess with the extra material it puts too much tension on the spring and it sucks the button in and keeps everything locked up. The door locks don't function, the inside door handle won't operate, the button on the outside door handle will be sucked in, and the outside key cylinder will not function. Everything will be in a bind and it's not fun. I got the handles from GMCPauls, but I'm sure it'll be the same handle as everywhere else.
HunterRotten is offline   Reply With Quote