View Single Post
Old 08-13-2018, 08:37 PM   #938
rgunlock

Re: My 78 K15 High Sierra build - Fish Tremble

AA includes a block (square tube) to mount the adapter to the transmission crossmember. In my case, it would sit a couple inches too far back. I didn't want to move my crossmember rearward a couple inches because that would interfere with the hangers for the emergency brake cable.

So, I stole an idea from DirtyLarry's thread and welded a piece of 1/4" plate to extend the bracket forward. Added a couple of gussets as well. On the AA block, apparently you were intended to use short bolts fed up from inside the square tube and obviously have limited access for a wrench. I went ahead and drilled those holes through and cut some spacers for inside. Those may not have been necessary. I doubt the square tube would have collapsed.

Also, the threads in the adapter did not hold up to even torque things up once. Ended up finding bolts long enough to go through and use a lock washer and nut at the top. I also recall DirtyLarry having an issue with this and using the same solution.

The extended part of the mounting block got holes drilled and mounted using the poly pads I already had, although I did have to use shorter bolts than original.
Attached Images

78 GMC K15 SWB, 350/NV4500/NP205/4.10s Project Hazel
71 GMC C25 350/TH400 - Project Angie
59 Chevy SWB Stepside (next in line? Not sure now )
2001 GMC Sierra K2500
rgunlock is offline   Reply With Quote