View Single Post
Old 09-10-2018, 10:13 PM   #352
1971_c10

Re: C10CJ: A Pro-touring '71 Stepside on a No Limit Pro-C10 Chassis

oh man, what a busy week it's been. Started off with a trip to SD to help a life long family friend (he's family) with his 700R4 that wasn't shifting into OD. We pulled the 2-4 servo and cleaned that up (since he had every other gear and no slipping I was suspect he had a stuck 4th apply piston). We got it all cleaned up and it shifted into OD on the first try of the test drive, but then never again. I also found his TV cable wasn't quite right. So he's got some parts on order. We'll fix the TV cable but I'm wondering if he's going to need a replacement "super servo" 4th apply piston as his was kinda "stuck" in the cover when we pulled it.

Then it was back home to install the power steering cooler. And trans cooler. Yep. I got them both done. I deviated a little from my plans on the trans cooler. I wound up mounting it right behind the front bumper since I could easily route plumbing here w/o having to move my trans temp sensor (which feeds the ECU which controls the cooler fans). So I came up with some simple brackets for both the PS cooler and the trans cooler. Let's get into it.

If you follow me on FB/IG, you may have seen these pics but not much description.

So a bunch of parts showed up right before I headed to SD so I was ready to get installing when I got back home on Labor Day.
Name:  IMG_0154.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  95.0 KB

As I mentioned, I got the Earl's Temp-O-Cure for the PS cooler as I wanted to compare the build quality to the Derale unit. Here's a shot of the Earl's on top of the Derale. Both are nice build quality.
Name:  IMG_0152.jpg
Views: 1542
Size:  72.5 KB

For the PS cooler, I built a bulkhead that I used to then hook in to the power steering low pressure circuit. I just used some 1/8" plate I had left over from the shifter housing build. These are -6 AN bulkhead fittings since the existing lines were -6 and I was using 3/8" hardline to the cooler. I then wound up adding some triangular gussets which you can see in the next pic. I did space the bulkhead fittings so I could get wenches on them.
Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 1548
Size:  99.3 KB

Here's all the brackets for the PS cooler setup. The small one is the bulkhead and the 2 large ones mount the cooler. I built the cooler mounts to give me a 1" space behind the cooler to the radiator support. No fans on this cooler and mounted off to the side of the radiator as I really only need the cooler when I'm running around the AutoX course.
Name:  IMG_0160.jpg
Views: 1558
Size:  86.3 KB

Here's the brackets mocked up on the cooler.
Name:  IMG_0156.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  46.0 KB

Build Thread for my '71 Pro-Touring: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=722029
My C10 has it's own facebook page! www.facebook.com/c10cj - it is a public page so no facebook account required to browse through.
1971_c10 is offline   Reply With Quote