View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #3428
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Parked up in Des Moines, I was once again surprised, but it had become the norm, by how. Ray just left the Caddy open, windows all down, unlocked. (We were inside the antique shop for hours)

In many countries this would just not happen.

So we all had things we were looking for.

Ray was looking for rest, he has a back that kills him, due to shall we say a misspent youth, or life in general and he had a booking for his back to be treated the next week.

Eve was looking for gifts for her children.

Craig........... ?? The guy was hunting beaver, not shaved. And a few other things.

Grizz.....? Well, I needed nothing, but was still looking for some real, used, and good looking horse riding spurs or even just one, to hang on my mantle piece over the fireplace and some other random stuff, including Strawberry Depression glass for Debbie our hostess in St Louis for her birthday as she collects it. It’s both expensive and reasonably rare, but every now and then you find some for sale.

Wikipedia says:

Much depression glass is uranium glass. The Quaker Oats Company, and other food manufacturers and distributors, put a piece of glassware in boxes of food, as an incentive to purchase. Some movie theaters and businesses handed out pieces to patrons.

Most of this glassware was made in the Ohio River Valley of the United States, where access to raw materials and power made manufacturing inexpensive in the first half of the twentieth century. More than twenty manufacturers made more than 100 patterns, and entire dinner sets were made in some patterns. Common colors are clear (crystal), pink, pale blue, green, and amber. Less common colors include yellow (canary), ultramarine, jadeite (opaque pale green), delphite (opaque pale blue), cobalt blue, red (ruby and royal ruby), black, amethyst, monax, and white (milk glass).

Although of marginal quality, Depression glass has been highly collectible since the 1960s. Due to its popularity as a collectible,[1] it is becoming more scarce on the open market. Rare pieces may sell for several hundred dollars. Some manufacturers continued to make popular patterns after World War II, or introduced similar patterns, which are also collectible. Popular and expensive patterns and pieces have been reproduced, and reproductions are still being made.

So time for another PHOTODUMP.

First blood went to Eve, she found a beaver for Craig.

His wife, Lorraine is very active in scouting and works with the beavers. They were looking for a totem.
Yes, you are right.....

This is a girly Beaver.

But it was booked for gender reassignment before it even boarded the plane for England.

Coke collectors

Remember 1.5 liter glass bottles, returned for a deposit

Interesting plate, no, I did not buy it.

Wonder what it was reserved for.

Smoking pipes, which I still collect, were available at just about every place we went looking.
They maintain a decent price too.

U.K. prices have dropped or stagnated

Did you notice the spurs on the top shelf?

Yup, quite a few pairs about.

Sadly, some appear to be reproductions, and others were just too costly for the use I have planned for them.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote