View Single Post
Old 09-22-2018, 08:11 AM   #3431
Grizz1963

Re: Grizz's Redneck Express 1966 Chevy Short Fleetside RESTO-GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
These darn fangle computer thingies! Good seeing more posts. I would need a much larger hauling vehicle (and money) if I visited all these souvenir places you guys have.
Really enjoying the pictures Rian and Craig
Trust me.....

If I lived and worked in the USA which of course I would love, I would be a hoarder for sure.

Well, I am sooo pisssed off now, third time the Internet has reloaded itself and deleted a load of writing for a new posting that I had done, every time I just write less and less.

Now trying on Notes on the iPad.

Long winded and a PITA.

So these massive antiques warehouses have vendors rent space by the square foot, and whatever they do in that space is their choice.
Some, like the guy below has a few stalls, catering to different markets, so Cowboy and Western mixed with automotive and farm, as well as fine antiques and records and music etc.

They often offer discounts that range between 25% and 75% before taxes, but it all helps.

He had this spur trophy for $25.00 which when I asked about the discount at the front desk, I got told discounts only start at $30.00
Needless to say, I returned it in principle after venting my spleen at them for misleading and incomplete advertising.
I still want a real working spur(s).

Counter girl,had some cool tattoos, including this one. (No selfie this time)

Back to business.....

All sorts of random stuff, I liked this, but too long for baggage and I already had the 9th street sign for me garden.

We all looked out for stuff for each other too, and WhatsApp and the free WiFi in the shop (most shops have free WiFi now) helped us shoot pics of finds back and forth.

Craig found this flag.........

Know where it is from???

$60.00 Tuba?

Beautiful spurs.....

Pricey though.

Stunning toy, and rare too.

Shop stool, presumably from a shoe shop.

Beautiful and cheap saddles, but too bulky for hand baggage

Many many of these streets, this is not even the full length of one.

Read the description

I love a Stetson hat, would love a new or used one, in my size.

This was too small.

My mate Kevin Woodsie collects all forms of measuring sticks and equipment, he may have had a small trouser accident here.

Random stuff.

Found some stalls with a small selection of Strawberry Depression Glass.

One handled bowl, unusual.

More spurs.

I managed to find two pieces of Strawberry glass for Debbie, which like many other items on the trip, Craig and I went halves on. He is the IT guy and kept a few spreadsheets running, mainly for his own mental health, not at all for financial concern.

Also found a tiny little horse bit, look at it compared to the one I already had here at home.

And when I got to the counter to pay, the tattoo girl told me that the vendor who owned the Spur trophy was in the shop and prepared to do a deal.

To me, the willingness to do a deal was irresistible, so I went back into the shop and found him at his second stall and said I was the spur guy, he then walked back to his first stall with me and took the item, changed the ticket to $18.00 which meant it cost me under $20.00 so I bought it as well.

The girls wrapped all the pieces carefully and we left the shop, Craig with his bounty, and Eve empty handed, to find Ray out front on the porch.

Back into the Caddy and onto the motorway by 1.30pm as we still needed to get home, pack and head for Le Claire to the American Pickers shop which for me was a bit of a bucket list, pilgrimage, box ticking exercise. Craig and I had done a lot of debating about doing another 300 mile detour in the last week, but agreed to go in the end.

We did make a motorway stop before heading back to Monroe to say goodbye and hit the road with a vengeance, tempered only by the fear of motorway policing.
Grizz1963 is offline   Reply With Quote