View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #33
jocko

Re: New 2001 in the barn :)

FWIW, and in case it helps anybody else in their decision process... I indeed went ahead and installed the Rough Country 1.5-2.0 leveling kit. I just couldn't take the rake.

My goal was only to raise the front by 1.5" - only wanted to level (or get a little closer to level) and didn't want to raise the rear for now. Anyway, worth noting that I had 1" of thread remaining on the stock key adjusters before I started to go down this road.

I installed the RC kit and started with about 1" of thread showing, just like before with the stock keys, to see what the keys alone did to the front before I started adjusting. This made the truck nose high - before adjustment. So, under the truck a few more times to back off the bolt and relax the torsion bars a bit more. When my bolts were about to fall out of the threads and the keys were resting on the stops - it was STILL nose high. What the...

Spoke to RC and they recommended re-indexing the key by 1/6 rotation of the hex to relax it further. Well, no way that would work - 1/6th of a turn put the adjuster so far up inside the frame rail that it used up the entire adjusting bolt. There's really only 1 way they can go on and still allow adjustability. So, while I still used the shock bracket that came in the kit, I reverted back to the stock keys - and only used up about 1/4" of my bolt travel to get the front to be approx 1" lower than the rear, about where I wanted it. Overall, the kit keys were a waste of money.

If I were doing the kit that also raises the rear by 1" with blocks - it would have been just about perfect (as some of you all did above) - but for front leveling only, the stock keys were far better than the RC leveling keys.

The shop that aligned it had no issues aligning and I still have a thumb and a half between the upper control arm and the droop stop. The overall ride is only slightly stiffer - really hardly noticeable, and I attribute that fact to using the shock relocation brackets so they are at approx the same extension as before the torsion bars were twisted up a little bit. Anyway, got it where I like it, without too much stress to the suspension except for maybe the ball joints a little bit - but it's really not even leveled, just raised a bit so that it doesn't look like I'm skidding to a stop when standing still...

Also one more note for those adjusting keys - new height did settle about 1/2-3/4" after I set it and drove it a bit - for what that's worth.

Last edited by jocko; 12-03-2018 at 09:36 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote