View Single Post
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #108
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin oil View Post
He is talking about a Melling timing chain. For this mild of a cam I would throw any old double roller chain in there. Even a quality factory set would work. The merits of each have been argued since the birth of the SBC in 1955. Factory chains wear faster and get more slop but transmit less vibration to the valve train, gear drives basically never wear and adjust cam timing, and rollers are the compromise that most performance guys settle on. Personally I run the double rollers, even on 8k RPM motors.
If you look behind the balancer you can see the pins that the guys are talking about. Look at approximatly 3 and 9 oclock positions from the crank between the timing chain cover bolts. They are around an 1/8". Personally I never had good luck pulling the timing chain cover without dropping the pan. Usually the oil pans front seal would stay with the cover and tear the pan rail gasket. Good luck.
I will be putting in a double roller. Just need to find the right one. I will be talking to my mechanic in the morning.

Since I dont know much about cams your saying that the 'Edelbrock Part # 5002 Torker-Plus Camshaft' is mild? Other forum members said in other posts said I would be on the edge of having not enough vacuum to run my power breaks and I should swap it and the lifters.

Yes I seen in some youtube videos about the pins but I didnt know they were removable. To be on the safe side I'll pickup a new oil pan gasket as well.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote