View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #113
DransportGarage

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoJuice View Post
I found a great video on YouTube about setting valve lash and will follow your instructions. I'll probably pull all the plugs because it will make it easier to rotate the engine and drop the pan as well b/c it has a sweat on one side.

https://youtu.be/5EGlb_VpTAw?t=447

Thank you for the response.
I listened to the entire 22 minutes of the video for you, and the guy knows what he's talking about. Two tips:

1) With lifters loose, use a VERY light feel when spinning the pushrod. You can still spin the pushrod even after you go past zero lash, especially if the oil is out of the lifter. This light feel will assure that you stop at zero lash.

2) Be sure you don't push down on the rocker with the socket while you approach zero lash. Doing so will leave the rocker loose. I actually put the socket on the nut, pull it up a tiny bit, then spin the pushrod, then turn the nut.

You can do this procedure with your intake manifold in place. You just spin the pushrod up by the rocker.

Don't worry too much if your lifters are full of oil. The engine will be a little hard to start, but it eventually will, and it will run smoothly after the lifters pump themselves up/down after a few moments.

Good Luck!
Bob's Retirement Build - My 55 TF
Bob's 700R4 Build (how-to)
DransportGarage is offline   Reply With Quote