View Single Post
Old 02-01-2019, 06:23 PM   #102
e015475

Re: 49 GMC Five Window

This week's progress report...........

I post over on classicparts.com too, so if you see this and read about it over there, you can skip this build thread and go onto the next.

I finished fiberglassing the fan shroud. There's two layers of 1.5 oz mat on the back now. Made a jig for the router and cut the hole for the fan. Started sanding off the nibs and brush hairs that got in the epoxy. Will take this to Wyatt's next week and skim with a coat of filler in prep for a top coat

Here's the back side after I put the two layers of mat on it- I reinforced the corners with a couple layers of mat over the aluminum too.

A quick trial fit on the radiator. Still have to figure out how to mount it.

Here's the rework of the brackets for the 'custom fit' AC condenser from Vintage Air that didn't fit the GMC - ready for a trial fit in the truck as soon as someone wanders by to help me lift it into the engine bay. Still pissed at VA that I paid $325 and all I got was a cheap condenser, a drier and a couple of tubes and a bracket I had to put four hours labor into to make work. I didn't want to make the fussy clip that attached the condenser to the bracket, so I cut the VA ones off and used aircraft rivets to attach them to the new bracket.

I mounted the PCM under the dash using some strap and an ebay over-center latch. Sticks out like a sore thumb so I'll have to hit it with some trim black.

I strung the wiring harness out on the engine and connected all the sensors, then pulled all the excess wire into the cab - what's here is what has to be shortened. It looks like a rat's nest but really isn't so bad as most of the pink wires will pair to the injectors. The good news was I won't have to extend any wires in the harness (except for the coils, and I just bought a harness extension that's plug and play)

Here's the harness on the topside of the engine. All the injector leads are too long (what is draped over the fenders) so I will shorten them topside - I have to change the plugs to the EV1 style anyway. Thinking about some sort of tube to run the wires through to hide them and bought some aluminum tube today to experiment.

I ordered some 3" mandrel bends for intake tubing along with some silicone couplers. There's going to be a fight for real estate between the engine and radiator where I need to fit the hoses, fan shroud/fan, and the filter/MAF/ducting. Dang, those bend radii look big.

Summit had polished stainless tube for the same price as unpolished, so I bought some for radiator hose. I really should have a back purge of argon when I weld these up, so I'll have to make a jury-rigged system to trap gas in the tube. If my stainless welds look nice, I'll polish them on Wyatt's big wheel polisher, but if not there's always the old-standby of filing them flat and sanding them smooth before polish.

Next week will be getting the intake, radiator hoses and fan shroud to all fit and in mock-up. I'll pull the harness back off the engine and start looming that up too. Next report will be how all the inlet and cooling fits in the engine bay - with photos I hope.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote