Thread: 69 c50
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 12:50 AM   #48
Pvmt-Pndr

Re: 69 c50

I've made a plan to look at it this Saturday. The engine is currently out of it. I have 3 different options on buying it.
1) buy it without the 350 - $1800.
2) buy it with the engine, not installed - $2200.
3) engine installed ready to go - $2500

Knowing that it has some issues and things that have to be done right away to be usable... and I do the work on all of it myself. Keep in mind I did have back surgery in December and the Dr said not to do anything stupid for a year...
1) brakes booster/master cylinder $100-500ish
2) possible unknown other issues with the brakes $100-600.
3) 2 speed rear end isn't usable and to make fixable, no switch on the shifter and is missing (guessing) $100-400.
4) a 24k pound gooseneck needs installed $500 ish
5) some sort of OD transmission installed so it will do 65+ mph, trans + whatever I need to fabricate to make it work (guessing again) $1000-2000.
6) trailer brake switch $100-300

If I go with option #3 for buying it so I can drive it onto a trailer and move it around the yard when I need to and go with the high side of my guesstimate on price to make it usable for me I would be $4300 to make it work plus $2500 for the truck which adds up to $6800.
On the low side it would be $1900 + the price of the truck 2500 would put me at $4400 for a tow pig that would do everything I want it to do.

Another thought worth mentioning. The current owner said that high in the rear end is a 6:50 gear which tells me it's a GM axle with a low gear of 8:85 which in searching and doing my home work I've come to find out that you can no longer get parts for that axle if something did go wrong. Going hand in hand with what a few people have said and what I have found on the internet, doing 55 mph the 350 would be turning 3000-3200 rpm. How fast can these 350s turn comfortably and for how long? I would also like to hear opinions on gear swaps or possible rear end swaps that would suite me pulling up to 20k pounds and be able to do 65 comfortably.

In the pictures of the motor that they sent me it looks to me and most of this is judging off of the valve covers that the 350 is not original to this truck. The valve covers look like they've never been off and it says 350 GM Goodwrench which I assume the original valve covers from 69 would not say that. It looks as if it's a crate motor if I had to guess.

Since I've throw all the numbers out there I'm not convinced this is the truck for me. Any thoughts good or bad I want to hear them. $5k was the cap that I originally had in my mind for a truck that would do what I want. That's weather I pay 5k for a truck ready to go or in this case buy for 2500 and is be willing to put another 2500 into it. From there I would upgrade down the road and make it my dream truck as time goes on.
Pvmt-Pndr is offline   Reply With Quote