View Single Post
Old 02-21-2019, 05:13 PM   #170
dsraven

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

borrow or rent an engine lift, pull the whole thing out and remove the pan while the engine is right side up so the stuff in the pan doesn't go into the rest of the engine. then flip it over and do the required work. you really should check those other internals while you have the pan off anyway.
or build a makeshift gantry from 2x6's or something else sturdy enough to hold the engine. I have pulled engines using the trusses in the shop,span several with a 4x4 post or something strong in order to spread the load. use a chain hoist to lift the engine enough to get the pan off. block it or chain it so the hoist is not the only thing holding the engine up, go from there. if you have some spare steel kicking around you could build a frame that sits on the frame and goes higher than the engine. jack the engine up and then chain it to the frame so it can't drop on you.
remember,your fingers don't grow back if they get snipped off. same for heads,hands etc
or, get a magnet and poke around till you fish out the metal parts from the timing cover, then slice the new t/cover up so you can install it on the engine as it sits without pulling the pan or anything else.
if it were me, the engine would be out. I'm a bit of a stickler for knowing what I have under the hood though. no surprises then on that little trip to Jasper.......
keep us posted
dsraven is online now   Reply With Quote