View Single Post
Old 04-28-2019, 01:08 AM   #22
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: WTB - OEM rear sport bumper brackets off a 2WD, SWB with leaf springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
I installed the brackets on my 72 4x4 SWB. The brackets in the following pics are OEM but are identical to the repop set I purchased. You can see the rear bolt hole is real close to the end of the frame like yours, the bolt towards the front actually goes through just above the shackle hanger in the notcted out section (you can kind of see in second pic). The bracket is also notched to clear the rivet holding the shackle hanger to the frame. to me it looks like the pics from Early classic match my brackets. Was always told the SWB 2wd leaf trucks and swb 4x4 brackets are the same. Believe the LWB 4x4 uses the standard bracket also used on coil spring trucks as there is no need to adjust for rear spring hanger. The SWB leaf trucks are the only oddball that needs different brackets is my understanding. (blazers to) Someone can correct me if wrong.
I may be off Richard, but that hole in your frame looks further back than 8/10" (post 15). Chance it's closer to 1.5"? That and you don't see you have a "swell" in the frame to clear. Speak of "swells" in the frame, there's one on each side of the front and rear shackle mounts, same on my C20. Don't know their purpose, but I guess they look nice

The "4x4" brackets don't work on this frame, despite the vendor and box saying otherwise. They're nothing like my frame, the first picture below shows why.

The second picture shows the front hole for the bumper bracket, and the shackle bracket. I think your hole for the bumper bracket is in the same location. Makes sense, it's center the shackle bracket.

The location of the front "swell" in the picture shows a frame casting imperfection. The same one on the other side is 1/8" further forward, which looks right. They installed the shackle brackets evenly, so you can see where the swell interferes with the shackle bracket. Probably too late to complain, warranty wouldn't cover it any how
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring the truck from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details, OEM identifications & part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images of assm., illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025

Last edited by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402; 04-28-2019 at 01:22 AM.
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote