View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 01:12 PM   #74
jcwren

Re: Ground strap locations

I was reading through this thread and saw the comment about wheel bearings getting destroyed by lack of grounding, and that didn't make much sense to me. I did a little reading and found this thread which explains some of it. However, I don't think it applies to the C10's. I believe there are too many other return paths, such as through the fuel line, brake lines, throttle linkage, etc. I CAN see this happening in other types of vehicles, depending on how the driveline is mounted.

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ml#post2284670

As several have mentioned, large grounding straps add no benefit. The effective gauge of the wire needs to be no larger than the wire gauge that runs from the battery to the fuse block (12 gauge, in the case of '70, not sure if later trucks went larger).

Braid is preferred over solid or stranded wire because of flexibility. The strap(s) between the engine and frame will have more vibration than any of the chassis to chassis grounds, like shown in the pictures early on in this thread. Imagine using solid core wire, and how soon it would fail. As you reduce the size of each conductor they become more flexible, and by braiding them, you don't need insulation to keep them from separating.

Bonding of body panels helps reduce AM static noise (assuming there was anything worth listening to to begin with...) by preventing static build up. What happens is if a panel isn't bonded, once the voltage reaches a certain potential, it discharges into the closest thing with a lower ground potential. This discharge is in the form of a minuscule spark, but it's enough for an AM receiver to "hear" (the very first radios were spark gap transmitters, which were subsequently outlawed because they create noise over a wide section of the radio spectrum). Bonding the panel prevents static buildup. In an ideal world, each individual body panel would be bonded to its friend. The reality is that in most cases the bolts provide adequate connectivity.

Someone mentioned skin effect in wires. This is not a thing with DC power systems. It's only present in AC power systems and when dealing with radio frequencies. At 60 Hz in copper, the skin depth is about 8.5 mm (~5/16's). It becomes a factor when dealing with larger currents, but generally isn't of any concern for people not dealing with power sub-stations and the like.

Summary: Grounding is important. Over-sized grounding doesn't hurt, but you'll just make bigger holes for bigger bolts. Bonding all the panels will reduce AM noise, but not Rush Limbaugh or Stephanie Miller noise.
jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote