View Single Post
Old 07-07-2019, 10:17 PM   #9
WOLFMANmike

Re: Cell Phone Mount for our Trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
We ran the Power Tour in June with my cell phone suction cupped to the windshield for navigation, not a good look.

I got to thinking about a better way. We have a steel dash. Maybe a magnetic mount would work. Neodymium magnets are really strong....

I took a 2" piece of 2X1X1/8 aluminum channel and trimmed and bent it to fit the dash. I Gorilla glued 4 magnets from home depot to the channel. The top edge fits on the top of the dash and the two magnets hold it down. The second two magnets hold the mount to the nose of the dash. The lower leg locates on the vertical part of the dash and prevents rotation.

Trying this out on the dash indicated that it is plenty strong enough to hold the phone.

I bought a ProClip holder for my phone. (They sell a mount for your specific car and a mount for your specific phone. They connect together with four small screws.) I only needed the phone mount of course. ProClip is a high quality product, made in Sweden, but pricey. I use them in my other cars.

I mounted the ProClip to a small piece of 1/8 aluminum and Gorila Glued that to the magnet mount. Painted it up.

Pretty clean, works well. You can easily pull it off when you want and it will mount anywhere along the dash. The ProClip mount has the rotation and swivel motion.
so maybe im thinking about this wrong and if then im sorry but magnets that strong say to keep away from Electronics and also medical equipment that they could effect pacemakers. and can damage computers and tv .. so here is my thought our smart phones really are like a small computer and since some of our phones can cost like $800 and we make payments on them. are you going to do damage to your cell phone that cant be fixed? just a thought dont get me wrong i love this idea im just hoping it wont kill your cell phone
WOLFMANmike is offline   Reply With Quote